At discharge, a repeat BNP also could add to her risk stratification, though it would not be clear what do with this prognostic information beyond the standard of care.
BNP measurement in specific situations can complement conventional clinical information in determining the presence of ADHF and also can enhance clinicians’ ability to risk-stratify patients during and after hospitalization. TH
Dr. Wolfe is a hospitalist and assistant professor of medicine at the University of Colorado Denver.
- Schocken DD, Arrieta MI, Leaverton PE, Ross EA. Prevalence and mortality of congestive heart failure in the United States. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1992;20(2):301-306.
- McKee PA, Castelli WP, McNamara PM, Kannel WB. The natural history of congestive heart failure: the Framingham study. N Eng J Med. 1971;285(26):1441-1446.
- Wang CS, FitzGerald JM, Schulzer M, Mak E, Ayas NT. Does this dyspneic patient in the emergency department have congestive heart failure? JAMA. 2005;294(15):1944-1956.
- Breidthardt T, Noveanu M, Cayir S, et al. The use of B-type natriuretic peptide in the management of patients with atrial fibrillation and dyspnea. Int J Cardiol. 2009;136(2):193-199.
- McCullough PA, Duc P, Omland T, et al. B-type natriuretic peptide and renal function in the diagnosis of heart failure: an analysis from the Breathing Not Properly Multinational Study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2003;41(3):571-579.
- Iwanaga Y, Hihara Y, Nizuma S, et al. BNP in overweight and obese patients with heart failure: an analysis based on the BNP-LV diastolic wall stress relationship. J Card Fail. 2007;13(8):663-667.
- O’Hanlon R, O’Shea P, Ledwidge M. The biologic variability of B-type natriuretic peptide and N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide in stable heart failure patients. J Card Fail. 2007;13(1):50-55.
- Mueller C, Laule-Kilian K, Schindler C, et al. Cost-effectiveness of B-type natriuretic peptide testing in patients with acute dyspnea. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166(1):1081-1087.
- Wu AH. Serial testing of B-type natriuretic peptide and NTpro-BNP for monitoring therapy of heart failure: the role of biologic variation in the interpretation of results. Am Heart J. 2006;152(5):828-834.
- Fonarow GC, Peacock WF, Phillips CO, et al. ADHERE Scientific Advisory Committee and Investigators. Admission B-type natriuretic peptide levels and in-hospital mortality in acute decompensated heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007;48 (19):1943-1950.
- Jencks SF, Williams MC, Coleman EA. Rehospitalizations among patients in the Medicare fee-for-service program. N Engl J Med. 2009;360(14):1418-1428.
- O’Connor CM, Hasselblad V, Mehta RH, et al. Triage after hospitalization with advanced heart failure: the ESCAPE (Evaluation Study of Congestive Heart Failure and Pulmonary Artery Catheterization Effectiveness) risk model and discharge score. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;55(9):872-878.