Recently, the SHM Practice Management Committee has once again taken up the issue of “physician engagement.” Over the next few months, the committee plans to:
- Create a repository of related resources on the SHM website, including physician engagement profiles for some hospitalist practices;
- Initiate a dialogue on the topic of physician engagement on HMX (connect.hospitalmedicine.org), SHM’s social networking platform; and
- Publish a “public domain” survey questionnaire that hospitalist practices can use. This is a crucial matter that remains a central concern for our specialty and for the safety and well-being of our patients.
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement advanced the idea of the Triple Aim (better care, better health, lower costs) several years ago as a guiding principle in the transformation of healthcare. More recently, a growing number of voices suggest that physician satisfaction is a crucial foundation of the Triple Aim.4 I submit that for hospitalists to fulfill their potential as healthcare change agents, we will need to build a professional experience that enables them to traverse mid-career challenges and make it to the professional finish line as engaged and well-adjusted members of the healthcare community.
Dr. Whitcomb is Chief Medical Officer of Remedy Partners. He is co-founder and past president of SHM. Email him at [email protected].
- Gabbard GO. Medicine and its discontents. Mayo Clin Proc. 2013;88(12):1347-1349.
- Hinami K, Whelan CT, Wolosin RJ, Miller JA, Wetterneck TB. Worklife and satisfaction of hospitalists: Toward flourishing careers. J Gen Intern Med. 2012;27(1):28-36.
- Drybye LN, Varkey P, Boone SL, Satele DV, Sloan JA, Shanafelt TD. Physician satisfaction and burnout at different career stages. Mayo Clin Proc. 2013;88(12):1358-1367.
- Spinelli WM. The phantom limb of the triple aim. Mayo Clin Proc. 2013;88(12):1356-1357.
- Hoff TH, Whitcomb WF, Williams K, Nelson JR, Cheesman RA. Characteristics and work experiences of hospitalists in the United States. Arch Intern Med. 2001;161(6):851-858.
- Society of Hospital Medicine. A challenge for a new specialty: a white paper on hospitalist career satisfaction. Available at: http://www.hospitalmedicine.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Publications/WhitePapers/White_Papers.htm. Accessed January 4, 2014.