2. Redesign acute care, with hospitalists taking the lead;
3. Reach out beyond the walls. It will be very important for hospitalists to work even more closely with primary care providers;
4. Bring your clinical colleagues along to pursue the “triple aim” (better health, better healthcare, and lower per capita costs); and
5. Benefit patients, payers and providers through these changes.
• “We’ve got to change the delivery system;”
• The changes in the healthcare system are areas in which hospitalists can continue to be leaders;
• ACA changes can be better for the patient, payer and provider; and
• HM14 is off to a strong start with a clear, overarching goal of hospitalists leading the changing world of medicine.
Dr. Hale is a pediatric hospitalist at the Floating Hospital for Children at Tufts Medical Center in Boston.