Leadership is a skill that must be developed, and hospitalists are increasingly being thrust into leadership positions in hospitals across the country.
SHM’s Leadership Academy is made up of three separate courses, each especially designed to help hospitalists take on leadership positions with confidence—and to reach even higher.
This four-day educational offering serves as a prerequisite to all other Leadership Academy courses. Attendees learn how to evaluate personal leadership strengths and weaknesses, create and execute a communication strategy for key team members, understand key hospital drivers, examine how hospital metrics are derived, and more. Participants are grouped at tables of 10, each with a skilled facilitator to ensure meaningful, relevant application of concepts to hands-on activities. Course objectives:
- Evaluate personal leadership strengths and weaknesses and apply them to everyday leadership and management challenges;
- Effectively advocate the value of their hospitalist programs;
- Predict and plan for the near-term challenges affecting the viability of their hospitalist programs;
- Improve patient outcomes through successful planning, allocation of resources, collaboration, teamwork, and execution;
- Create and execute a communication strategy for all key constituencies;
- Understand key hospital drivers and examine how hospital performance metrics are derived, as well as how hospital medicine practices can influence and impact these metrics;
- Implement methods of effective change through leadership, shared vision, and management of organizational culture; and
- Utilize strategic planning to define a vision for their programs, prioritize efforts, and achieve designated goals.
Advanced Leadership: Influential Management
Through world-renowned faculty and applied exercises, this course provides skill building around driving culture change through specific leadership behaviors and actions, financial storytelling, engagement in effective professional negotiation activities with proven techniques, and more. Prerequisites: Leadership Foundations or an advanced management degree. Course objectives:
- Drive culture change through specific leadership behaviors and actions;
- Use financial reports to drive clinical/operational practice decision making;
- Recruit and retain the best physicians for their groups;
- Build exceptional physician satisfaction; and
- Engage in effective professional negotiation activities using proven techniques.
Advanced Leadership: Mastering Teamwork
Developed in response to high demand from academy attendees, this course is focused on strengthening teams and institutions. Participants learn how to critically assess program growth opportunities and develop operational plans; lead, manage, and motivate teams in complex hospital environments; and communicate effectively. Prerequisite: Leadership Foundations or an advanced management degree. Course objectives:
- Apply communication strategies that allow others to fully experience your message;
- Lead teams in complex environments to achieve the best results;
- Invest in yourself as a leader to optimize your professional growth and career path; and
- Critically assess program growth opportunities and implement the necessary infrastructure for success.