Number of meals served annually to patients, visitors, and staff by 155 leading U.S. hospitals, which are adopting new standards and criteria for nutritional care at their facilities in order to promote healthier meal options for patients and in their cafeterias. These hospitals belong to the Healthier Hospitals initiative.
(healthierhospitals.org/) led by the Partnership for a Healthier America, a group working to end childhood obesity. Among its goals are to increase the proportion of fruits and vegetables in hospitals’ food purchasing, to remove deep fat-fried products by the end of 2015, and to take advantage of the buying power and community influence hospitals can leverage to increase demand for healthier food.
- Enguidanos S, Vesper E, Lorenz K. 30-day readmissions among seriously ill older adults. J Palliat Med. 2012;15(12):1356-1361.
- The Advisory Board Company. Mastering the cardiovascular care continuum: strategies for bridging divides among providers and across time. The Advisory Board Company website. Available at: http://www.advisory.com/Research/Cardiovascular-Roundtable/Studies/2012/Mastering-the-Cardiovascular-Care-Continuum. Accessed Jan. 8, 2013.
- Misky G, Carlson T, Klem P, et al. Development and implementation of a clinical care pathway for acute VTE reduces hospital utilization and cost at an urban tertiary care center [abstract]. J Hosp Med. 2012;7 Suppl 2:S66-S67.
- Versel N. Health IT holds key to better care integration. Information Week website. Available at: http://www.informationweek.com/healthcare/interoperability/health-it-holds-key-to-better-care-integ/240012443. Accessed Jan. 8, 2013.
- Office of Inspector General. Early Assessment Finds That CMS Faces Obstacles in Overseeing the Medicare EHR Incentive Program. Office of Inspector General website. Available at: https://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-05-11-00250.asp. Accessed Jan. 8, 2013.