The Greenville (S.C.) Health System in 2011 instituted a unique patient tracking and surgery scheduling system developed with Integrated Business Systems and Services, also based in South Carolina. The new system, called OR-Max, replaces the ubiquitous, giant dry-erase schedule board with digital displays. The system is connected to pre- and post-op departments, as well as to another electronic board in the family waiting areas. A radio frequency identification number assigned to each new patient tracks the patient’s status through the perioperative process. Text messages update status changes to staff.
“The display boards operate like arrival and departure boards at an airport,” says Gilbert Ritchie, PhD, director of anesthesia and perfusion services. “Instead of a flight number, staff follows a case number” as they watch for status changes.
OR-Max helps to pinpoint delays, facilitates rescheduling, improves workflow, and increases patient satisfaction while reducing costs, according to the health system. GHS says it has seen a 13% increase in staff productivity under the digital scheduling system.
Larry Beresford is a freelance writer in San Francisco
- Weigel C, Suen W, Gupta G. Using Lean methodology to teach quality improvement to internal medicine residents at a safety net hospital. Am J Med Qual. 2013 Feb 4 [Epub ahead of print].
- Morganti KG, Lovejoy S, Beckjord EB, Haviland AM, Haas AC, Farley DO. A retrospective evaluation of the Perfecting Patient Care University training program for health care organizations. Am J Med Qual. 2013 Apr 9 [Epub ahead of print].
- Myers JS, Tess A, Glasheen JJ, et al. The Quality and Safety Educators’ Academy: fulfilling an unmet need for faculty development. Am J Med Qual. 2013 Apr 11 [Epub ahead of print].
- Dong XQ, Simon MA. Elder abuse as a risk factor for hospitalization in older persons. JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Apr 8:1-7. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.238 [Epub ahead of print].
- Cisco mConcierge. 90% American workers use their own smartphones for work. Cisco mConcierge website. Available at: http://www.ciscomcon.com/sw/swchannel/registration/internet/registrationcfm?SWAPPID=91&RegPageID=350200&SWTHEMEID=12949. Accessed