Hospitalists and ED physicians at Newton Medical Center in New Jersey recently participated in an improvised, interactive learning experience with actors who portrayed problematic patients. “Developing Doctor-Patient Relations through Better Communication” is a curriculum to test and teach communication skills for doctors that was created by Anthony Orsini, MD, a neonatologist at Morristown Medical Center, Newton’s sister facility in the Atlantic Health System. Dr. Orsini founded the Breaking Bad News Foundation (www.bbnfoundation.org) more than a decade ago to help health professionals impart bad medical news to patients and families.
Physicians role-play with actors in such difficult scenarios as imparting a troubling diagnosis to a patient who does not want to hear it. This interaction is viewed remotely by instructors from the foundation and by peers, who then meet with the doctor to go over the videotaped encounter regarding its effectiveness, spoken messages, body language, and other communications.
The project to improve staff communication skills is enhancing teamwork between Newton’s hospitalists and emergency doctors, according to David Stuhlmiller, MD, the hospital’s director of emergency medicine.
Larry Beresford is a freelance writer in San Francisco.
- Hartocollis A. With money at risk, hospitals push staff to wash hands. The New York Times website. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/nyregion/hospitals-struggle-to-get-workers-to-wash-their-hands.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0. Accessed May 28, 2013.
- Cumbler E, Castillo L, Satorie L, et al. Culture change in infection control: applying psychological principles to improve hand hygiene. J Nurs Care Qual. 2013 May 10 [Epub ahead of print].
- Bernhard B. High tech hand washing comes to St. Louis hospital. St. Louis Post-Dispatch website. Available at: http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/health/high-tech-hand-washing-comes-to-st-louis-hospital/article_9379065d-85ff-5643-bae2-899254cb22fa.html. Accessed June 27, 2013.
- Lowe TJ, Partovian C, Kroch E, Martin J, Bankowitz R. Measuring cardiac waste: the Premier cardiac waste measures. Am J Med Qual. 2013 May 29 [Epub ahead of print].
- Elixhauser A, Steiner C. Readmissions to U.S. hospitals by diagnosis, 2010. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project website. Available at: http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb153.pdf. Accessed July 15, 2013.
- Jackson Healthcare. Filling the void: 2013 physician outlook & practice trends. Jackson Healthcare website. Available at: http://www.jacksonhealthcare.com/media/193525/jc-2013physiciantrends-void_ebk0513.pdf. Accessed July 15, 2013.