The patient progressed well with physical and occupational therapy and was discharged back to his skilled nursing facility, with plans to start a bisphosphonate in two weeks.
Hospitalists should be familiar with the best practices for the perioperative management of hip fracture patients.
Dr. Anderson and Dr. Wolfe are hospitalists at the University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora. Dr. Anderson directs the medicine consult service, and Dr. Wolfe serves as the associate director.
- The Joint Commission. Improving and measuring osteoporosis treatment 2008. Oakbrook Terrace, Il; 2008. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/improving_and_measuring_osteoporosis_management/. Accessed September 29, 2013.
- Stevens JA, Rudd RA. The impact of decreasing U.S. hip fracture rates on future hip fracture estimates. Osteoporos Int. 2013;24(10):2725-2728.
- Braithwaite RS, Col NF, Wong JB. Estimating hip fracture morbidity, mortality, and costs. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003;51(3):364-370. Haentjens P, Magaziner J, Colón-Emeric CS, et al.
- Meta-analysis: excess mortality after hip fracture among older women and men. Ann Intern Med. 2010;152(6):380-390.
- Hung WW, Egol KA, Zuckerman JD, Siu AL. Hip fracture management: tailoring care for the older patient. JAMA. 2012;307(20):2185-2194.
- Magaziner J, Simonsick EM, Kashner TM, Hebel JR, Kenzora JE. Predictors of functional recovery one year following hospital discharge for hip fracture: a prospective study. J Gerontol. 1990;45(3):M101-107.
- Bateman L, Vuppala S, Porada P, et al. Medical management in the acute hip fracture patient: a comprehensive review for the internist. Ochsner J. 2012;12(2):101-110.
- Orosz GM, Magaziner J, Hannan EL, et al. Association of timing of surgery for hip fracture and patient outcomes. JAMA. 2004;291(14):1738-1743.
- Vidán MT, Sánchez E, Gracia Y, Marañón E, Vaquero J, Serra JA. Causes and effects of surgical delay in patients with hip fracture: a cohort study. Ann Intern Med. 2011;155(4):226-233.
- Vidán M, Serra JA, Moreno C, Riquelme G, Ortiz J. Efficacy of a comprehensive geriatric intervention in older patients hospitalized for hip fracture: a randomized, controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005;53(9):1476-1482.
- Falck-Ytter Y, Francis CW, Johanson NA, et al. Prevention of VTE in orthopedic surgery patients: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest. 2012;141(2 Suppl):e278S-e325S.
- Wald H, Epstein A, Kramer A. Extended use of indwelling urinary catheters in postoperative hip fracture patients. Med Care. 2005;43(10):1009-1017.
- Carson JL, Terrin ML, Noveck H, et al. Liberal or restrictive transfusion in high-risk patients after hip surgery. N Engl J Med. 2011;365(26):2453-2462.
- Baumgarten M, Margolis DJ, Orwig DL, et al. Pressure ulcers in elderly patients with hip fracture across the continuum of care. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009;57(5):863-870.
- Sullivan N, Schoelles KM. Preventing in-facility pressure ulcers as a patient safety strategy: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med. 2013;158(5 Pt 2):410-416.
- World Health Organization. Prevention and management of osteoporosis: Report of a WHO scientific group 2000. Geneva, Switzerland; 2000. WHO technical report series; 921. Available at: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/who_trs_921.pdf. Accessed July 9, 2013.
- National Osteoporosis Foundation. Clinician’s guide to prevention and treatment of osteoporosis 2013. Washington, D.C.; 2013. Available at: www.nof.org/files/nof/public/content/file/917/upload/481.pdf. Accessed September 29, 2013.
- Tang BM, Eslick GD, Nowson C, Smith C, Bensoussan A. Use of calcium or calcium in combination with vitamin D supplementation to prevent fractures and bone loss in people aged 50 years and older: a meta-analysis. Lancet. 2007;370(9588):657-666.
- Holick MF, Binkley NC, Bischoff-Ferrari HA, et al. Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96(7):1911-1930.
- Ross AC, Taylor CL, Yaktine AL, Del Valle HB, eds. Dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D. Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press; 2011. Lyles KW, Colón-Emeric CS, Magaziner JS, et al.
- Zoledronic acid in reducing clinical fracture and mortality after hip fracture. N Engl J Med. 2007;357: nihpa40967.
- Colón-Emeric CS, Nordsletten L, Olson S, et al. Association between timing of zoledronic acid infusion and hip fracture healing. Osteoporos Int. 2011;22(8):2329-2336.
- Eriksen EF, Lyles KW, Colón-Emeric CS, et al. Antifracture efficacy and reduction of mortality in relation to timing of the first dose of zoledronic acid after hip fracture. J Bone Miner Res. 2009;24(7):1308-1313.
- Byszewski A, Lemay G, Molnar F, Azad N, McMartin SE. Closing the osteoporosis care gap in hip fracture patients: an opportunity to decrease recurrent fractures and hospital admissions. J Osteoporos. 2011;2011:404969.
- Greenspan SL, Wyman, A, Hoovan FH, et al. Predictors of treatment with osteoporosis medications after recent fragility fractures in a multinational cohort of postmenopausal women. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012;60(3):455-461.
- Kamel HK, Hussain MS, Tariq S, Perry HM, Morley JE. Failure to diagnose and treat osteoporosis in elderly patients hospitalized with hip fracture. Am J Med. 2000;109(4):326-328.