Congratulations are in order for the dozens of hospitalists who formally have been recognized by the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) in the Recognition of Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine (FPHM) program.
“This is a monumental career step for any hospitalist and a significant move forward for the hospital medicine specialty,” says Jeff Wiese, MD, SFHM, SHM president. “We applaud all of the hospitalists who satisfied the requirements for this new program and encourage more hospitalists to begin this year’s application process now.”
Registration for the next FPHM exam ends Aug. 1. For more information, visit www.abim.org.
Among those hospitalists who have earned the Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine recognition:
- William Campbell, MD, SFHM, Pembroke Pines, Fla.
- Patrick Torcson, MD, MMM, FACP, SFHM, director of hospital medicine, St. Tammy Parish Hospital, Covington, La.
- Weston Chandler, MD, FACP, SFHM, president, CEO, Pacific Hospitalists Associates, Newport Beach, Calif.
- Natarajan Ravi, MD, Ellis Hospital Inpatient Medical Services, Schenectady, N.Y.
- Ilya Bilik, MD, director of community medicine, Beth Israel Medical Center, Brooklyn, N.Y., St. John’s Medical Center, Jackson Hole, Wy.
- Karim Godamunne, MD, MBA, FHM, medical director, Eagle Hospital Physicians, Roswell, Ga.
- Le Roi Hicks, MD, MPH, Saint Vincent Hospital, Boston
- Charles Knight, MD
- Anand Kartha, MD, VA, Boston Healthcare System, West Roxbury, Mass.
- Christine Lum Lung, MD, SFHM, medical director, Northern Colorado Hospitalists, Fort Collins
- Alokananda Bhattacharya, MD, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York City
- Cathleen Ammann, MD, Director, Wentworth Douglas Hospital, Dover, N.H.
- Melinda Johnson, MD, associate professor, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, Iowa City
- Michael Pistoria, DO, SFHM, medical director of hospitalist services, Lehigh Valley Health Network, Allentown, Pa.
- David Lauver, MD, Central Maine Inpatient Physicians, Lewistown
“This program also represents a groundbreaking partnership between SHM and ABIM,” Dr. Wiese says. “We look forward to working with ABIM to maintain public accountability for hospitalists, and to continually recognize hospitalists who choose to enhance their careers with this designation.”—BS