Inhalers containing ozone-depleting chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are continuing to be phased out.16 These agents are used to treat asthma and COPD, and alternate products that do not contain CFCs are available. Some pharmacies might be depleting stock after the “last-sale date.” The affected products and their phase-out dates are:
- Tilade (nedocromil): June 14, 2010;
- Alupent (metaproterenol): June 14, 2010;
- Aerobid (flunisolide): June 30, 2010;
- Azmacort (triamcinolone): Dec. 31, 2010;
- Intal (cromolyn): Dec. 31, 2010;
- Combivent (albuterol/ipratropium): December 31, 2013; and
- Maxair (pirbuterol) autohaler: December 31, 2013. TH
Michele B. Kaufman, PharmD, BSc, RPh, is a freelance medical writer based in New York City and a clinical pharmacist at New York Downtown Hospital.
- Orange Book: Approved drug products with therapeutic equivalence evaluations. U.S. Food and Drug Administration website. Available at: www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/ob/docs/obdetail.cfm?Appl_No=078357&TABLE1=OB_Rx. Accessed April 27, 2010.
- Mylan announces approval under PEPFAR for generic version of Videx EC HIV treatment. Medical News Today website. Available at: www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/186273.php. Accessed April 27, 2010.
- Sirion Therapeutics announces availability of Zirgan (ganciclovir ophthalmic gel) 0.15% for ocular herpes. PR Newswire website. Available at: www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sirion-therapeutics-announces-availability-of-zirgantm-ganciclovir-ophthalmic-gel-015-for-ocular-herpes-92084614.html. Accessed April 27, 2010.
- CSL Behring receives FDA approval to extend shelf life for Privigen from 24 to 36 months. CSL Behring website. Available at: www.cslbehring-us.com/s1/cs/enus/1154272074489/news/1255923905944/prdetail.htm. Accessed April 27, 2010.
- FDA approves Oravig (miconazole) buccal tablets for treatment of oropharyngeal candidiasis. PAR Pharmaceuticals website. Available at: investors.parpharm.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=81806&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1413993&highlight=. Accessed April 27, 2010.
- Alkermes submits supplemental new drug application for Vivitrol for the treatment of opioid dependence. Medical News Today website. Available at: www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/185456.php. Accessed April 27, 2010.
- FDA approves reformulated oxycontin. Contract Pharma website. www.contractpharma.com/news/2010/04/07/fda_approves_reformulated_oxycontin. Accessed April 27, 2010.
- Gansz Bobo E. FDA approves pancreatic enzyme product, Pancreaze. FDA website. Available at: www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm208135.htm. Accessed April 27, 2010.
- Once-daily Mirapex ER now approved by FDA for both early and advanced Parkinson’s disease. Medical News Today website. Available at: www.medicalnewstoday.com/printerfriendlynews.php?newsid=183272. Accessed April 27, 2010.
- DiaPrevent diabetes research. DiaPrevent website. Available at: www.diaprevent.diamyd.com/. Accessed April 27, 2010.
- Diamyd granted orphan drug designation in the US. Diamyd website. Available at: www.diamyd.com/docs/pressClip.aspx?section=investor&ClipID=479460. Accessed April 27, 2010.
- Same-day genetic testing service available for safer warfarin dosing. Monthly Prescribing Reference website. Available at: www.empr.com/same-day-genetic-testing-service-available-for-safer-warfarin-dosing/article/167586/. Accessed April 27, 2010.
- NDA submitted for DM-1796 for postherpetic neuralgia (PHN). Monthly Prescribing Reference website. Available at: www.empr.com/nda-submitted-for-dm-1796-for-postherpetic-neuralgia-phn/article/167056/. Accessed April 26, 2010.
- Gilead initiates Phase III clinical program evaluating single-table, once-daily “quad” regimen for HIV. Gilead website. Available at: www.gilead.com/pr_1411934. Accessed April 27, 2010.
- Novartis investigational multiple sclerosis therapy Gilenia (FTY720) shown to reduce relapse rates regardless of treatment history. Drugs.com website. Available at: www.drugs.com/clinical_trials/novartis-investigational-multiple-sclerosis-therapy-gilenia-fty720-shown-reduce-relapse-rates-9139.html. Accessed April 27, 2010.
- Inhalers containing CFCs being eliminated. Pharamacist eLink website. Available at: www.pharmacistelink.com/index.php/Drugs-and-Treatment/Inhalers-containing-CFC-s-being-eliminated.html. Accessed April 27, 2010.