Non-physician administrators are an integral part of most hospital medicine practices. SHM has recognized that the rapidly increasing size and complexity of hospital medicine practices demands increasingly sophisticated administrative capabilities, and that practice administrators bring a unique perspective to the field.
In an effort to better support and integrate this population of its membership, SHM has launched the Administrators’ Task Force.
The task force met at the SHM Annual Meeting in San Diego and was introduced at the Administrators’ Open Forum there.
The task force seeks to identify the needs and interests of hospital medicine practice administrators, as well as the ways this demographic can enhance and assist hospital medicine growth.
Important goals of the task force include identifying educational opportunities and programs for administrators, encouraging other administrators to join SHM, strengthening relationships between administrators and hospitalists, and defining ways to enhance and assist hospital medicine growth. Throughout the coming year, the task force will be striving to carry out its charge. It welcomes the feedback and participation of SHM’s full membership.
Members of this year’s Administrators’ Task Force are as follows:
- Daniel Owens, MBA, chairman of the task force. He is administrative director for the Department of Internal Medicine at Emory Healthcare in Atlanta;
- Jodi Braun, hospitalist program manager at Theda Clark Medical Center in Neenah, Wis.;
- Kim Dickinson, vice president of operations with Cogent Healthcare Inc.;
- Sandy Folkenson, RN, BSN, director of hospital medicine service at St. Joseph’s Hospital, HealthEast Care System, St. Paul, Minn.;
- Mary Germann, RN, MN, FACHE, executive director for physician services in Mt. Laurel, N.J.;
- Ellen Hearne, associate vice president of medical services at McLeod Regional Medical Center in Florence, S.C.;
- Ajay Kharbanda, MBA, CMPE, practice administrator at Harris Methodist Medical Foundation in Fort Worth, Texas;
- JoAnn Weissberger, PHR, hospital medicine practice manager at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, N.C.;
- Jeannine Ramsey, RN, MBA, director of operations for hospitalist services in Nashville, Tenn., and Bowling Green, Ky., with HCA Physician Services;
- Leslie Flores, director of SHM’s Practice Management Institute, is the staff liaison for the task force.
The panel is listed on the SHM Web site (www.hospitalmedicine.org) in the committees section, along with contact information.
We invite you to contact us with your thoughts about how the task force can best serve the interests of SHM and its practice administrator members. TH