One of the best things about working in the membership department is seeing the passion and commitment our members have for the success of our specialty. You also get to hear about what is needed to elevate our field to the next level.
Throughout the past 10 years, hospitalists have been asking for a unique designation that clearly identifies those physicians whose career is committed to hospital medicine. SHM wants you to know that we have heard you and have responded to this need by creating a Fellowship in Hospital Medicine (FHM) program.
Hospitalists who earn their FHM designation will have a demonstrated commitment to hospital medicine, systems change, and quality improvement principals. There will be three designations available, each with increasingly more challenging selection criteria:
- Fellow in Hospital Medicine (FHM);
- Senior Fellow in Hospital Medicine (SFHM); and
- Master in Hospital Medicine (MHM).
Application requirements include:
- Five years as a practicing hospitalist;
- Demonstration of competencies tied to the SHM Core Competencies in Hospital Medicine, including systems improvement, quality initiatives, and clinical excellence; and
- Endorsement by two active SHM members.
Applications for Fellow in Hospital Medicine will be available this fall, and the first class will be inducted at Hospital Medicine 2009 in Chicago.