Literature at a Glance
A guide to this month’s abstracts
- Steroids reduce mortality only in patients with confirmed bacterial meningitis.
- Probiotics can be useful in the treatment of acute diarrhea in children.
- CT pulmonary angiography is not inferior to V/Q scanning for exclusion of PE.
- Hospitalist care results in shorter LOS compared with care by traditional general internists and family practice physicians.
- The early risk of stroke after TIA is approximately 15% to 20% at 90 days after the sentinel event.
- Different anti-thrombotic strategies produce no difference in outcomes of early acute coronary syndromes.
- The risk of fatal PE is highest in the first year after medication is stopped.
- Beers criteria medications are associated with fewer ED visits by elderly patients compared with warfarin, digoxin, and insulin.