“We can pick these kinds of topics and can dissect them all down, but each time, in the end, it is a matter of people and their behaviors as a culture inside a system,” he says. “The system can be changed a little bit, but still it is ultimately about the culture of people.” TH
Andrea Sattinger writes regularly for The Hospitalist.
- Runy LA. 25 things you can do to save lives now. Hosp Health Netw. 2005 Apr;79(4):27-28.
- Meengs MR, Giles BK, Chisholm CD, et al. Hand washing frequency in an emergency department. Ann Emerg Med. 1994 Jun;23(6):1307-1312.
- McGuckina M, Watermana R, Storrb J, et al. Evaluation of a patient-empowering hand hygiene programme in the UK. J Hosp Infect. 2001 Jul;48(3):222-227.
- Whitby M, McLaws ML, Ross MW. Why healthcare workers don’t wash their hands: a behavioral explanation. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2006 May;27(5):484-492.
- Lipsett PA, Swoboda SM. Handwashing compliance depends on professional status. Surg Infect. 2001 Fall;2(3):241-245.