- Joynt KE, Jha AK. A path forward on Medicare readmissions. N Engl J Med. 2013;368(13):1175-1177.
- Kripalani S, LeFevre F, Phillips CO, Williams MV, Basaviah P, Baker DW. Deficits in communication and information transfer between hospital-based and primary care physicians: implications for patient safety and continuity of care. JAMA. 2007;297(8):831-841.
- Roy CL, Poon EG, Karson AS, et al. Patient safety concerns arising from test results that return after hospital discharge. Ann Intern Med. 2005;143(2):121-128.
- Sommers A, Cunningham PJ. Physician visits after hospital discharge: implications for reducing readmissions. National Institute for Health Care Reform Research Brief No. 6. December 2011. Available at: http://www.nihcr.org/Reducing_Readmissions.html. Accessed March 12, 2015.
- Society of Hospital Medicine. Reducing readmissions and improving care transitions. Available at: http://www.hospitalmedicine.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Where_We_Stand&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=27513. Accessed March 12, 2015.
- Society of Hospital Medicine. 2014 State of Hospital Medicine Report. September 5, 2014. Philadelphia: Society of Hospital Medicine; 2014:84.
- Abelson R. Hospitals question Medicare rules on readmissions. The New York Times. March 29, 2013. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/30/business/hospitals-question-fairness-of-new-medicare-rules.html. Accessed March 12, 2015.
- Krumholz HM, Lin Z, Keenan PS, et al. Relationship between hospital readmission and mortality rates for patients hospitalized with acute myocardial infarction, heart failure, or pneumonia. JAMA. 2013;309(6):587-593.