1. Baudendistel TE, Watcher RM. The evolution of the hospitalist movement in USA. Clin Med JRCPL. 2002;2:327-30.
2. Pantilat S. What is a Hospitalist? The Hospitalist 2006 February;2006(2).
3. Wachter RM, Goldman Lee. The emerging role of “Hospitalists” in the American Health Care System. N Engl J Med. 1996;335:514-7.
4. White HL, Glazier RH. Do hospitalist physicians improve the quality of inpatient care delivery? A systematic review of process, efficiency and outcome measures. BMC Medicine. 2011;9:58:1-22. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/9/58.
5. Wachter RM, Goldman L. Zero to 50,000 – The 20th Anniversary of the Hospitalist. N Engl J Med. 2016;375:1009-11.
Valerio Verdiani, MD, director of internal medicine, Grosseto, Italy. Francesco Orlandini, MD, internal medicine, health administrator, ASL4 Liguria, Chiavari (GE), Italy. Micaela La Regina, MD, internal medicine, risk management and clinical governance, ASL5 Liguria, La Spezia, Italy. Giovanni Murialdo, MD, department of internal medicine and medical specialty, University of Genoa (Italy). Andrea Fontanella, MD, director of medicine department, president of the Federation of Associations of Hospital Doctors on Internal Medicine (FADOI), Naples, Italy. Mauro Silingardi, MD, director of internal medicine, director of training and refresher of FADOI, Bologna, Italy.